Run all Windows Updates
• Set it to automatically update Windows OS, then restart.
Adjust the display settings.
• Right click on the desktop and choose “Display Settings” set the configuration.
• Adjust the screens settings for night and sleep, so the screen and computer can go into sleep mode during long periods with no activity.
Set up and update the browsers.
• Get Chrome and Internet Explorer for the browsers.
• Set up Home Page
Set the browser to open a page like google.com or yahoo.com.
Set up favorites in the favorites bar, or in a private folder in your favorites.
Go to Settings display default apps.
Set up Cortana or Gmail, google assistant or other apps.
On the tool bar you will see the Cortana link, you can click here and follow the prompts to get started with Cortana.
You can go to Google and login to your Gmail account and set up a link or shortcut to go see your Gmail or use the other apps Google has.
Set up another user on the computer.
• Set up a separate account for all your users. Go to settings
Like guests or other users of the computer.
Set up the browser to open Google.com for instance or Yahoo.com homepages.
• In settings accounts click on “Family and Other People”, proceed to set up accounts for other users on the computer.
Sleep, restart, shutdown and log off.
• Click on the Window icon in the lower left, then click on the power icon and choose one of the options:
Restart your computer when it is going slow or not completing tasks, or when it is not behaving as expected.
Shutdown your computer when you are finished using it at the end of the day or when you done using it.
Sleep you can leave your computer idle or choose this option and the computer will go to sleep, when you come back press any key on your keyboard and enter your password to login and resume where you left off.
Remove unwanted files and Programs:
Click on the Windows Icon in the lower left, scroll down to “Windows System, click on control panel. Find the programs from the list and uninstall them. Remove any Anti-Virus Software Trials. Remove some of the games Microsoft has on there as Promotional Items.
Set up the File Explorer
• Go to the folder icon to open the file explorer. Then click on view. Check the boxes to show “File name extensions”, and “Hidden items”
Set up the taskbar and shortcuts to your favorite apps.
• Click on the Windows icon in the lower left and when the list of all programs appears left click them and choose to see them in the start menu and or the taskbar.
• Right click the toolbar and you can change the settings and position of the toolbar.
Windows is set to automatically update but will notify you most of the time and tell you to restart, go ahead and trust these updates, they are safe and most of the time critical patches to keep your system running with the latest settings that give you the maximum computing power.
Safe Internet Browsing Tips:
Make sure that Windows Defender is on and the Firewall is on and the sites you trust are entered into the trusted sites list.
Don’t allow popups, when asked during browsing.
Don’t randomly click on anything, if you feel like you are under attack simply,
Hold in the power button and don’t let go on your computer or laptop until it is completely off. (The idea is to turn off your computer without saving anything, thus avoiding the corrupt files from being saved.) Power your computer back up and see if this avoided the threat or virus attack. (if not run your Windows defender.) Scan your computer, In the Lower right corner, open Windows Defender to manage threats.
When searching for websites look at the addresses on the links before you go to them. I.E. go to the one you recognize or that actually is the website you want to go to and not another Pirate posing as the original.
Personalize your Desktop and Themes
• Desktop: To make your desktop a slideshow: Right click anywhere on the desktop and choose “Personalize”
Then click in the “Background” Tab click on the “Browse” Button and find your folder with the pictures you want to see in a slideshow on your desktop, next choose your settings, this sets the Background (or Wallpaper), to go thru the pictures and display as a slideshow on your desktop.
Click on the Themes Tab and find a theme you like and click on download. Read all screens before agreeing to anything and watch out for advertisers that offer their services, make sure to uncheck the boxes for anything else offered so those don’t install, just the theme.
If you have problems or need computer services contact me, at firstname.lastname@example.org or go to our website http://pcfsn.com/ where you can blog or call me, Vicki Bajanen Phone: 414-739-7200.
Get help from PC Fusion to set up a new computer or home computing network.
NEW WINDOWS COMPUTER
SET UP, CONNECT, AND PERSONALIZE
Article:2/20/2018 by: VBaja9